Pages

Friday, 24 June 2005

Orwellian

Sing Praise! We are breeding literate pigs.

As part of my work here I set up a local newsletter. I trained some of our staff in such things as basic DTP, story gathering, editing. The newsletter is delivered to the local communities when we're out doing extension work, and it's been well-received.

It's an ideal place to announce such things as times and dates of AIDS workshops, closing dates for applications for training courses, and recent achievements.

Unfortunately the editor was also The Man Who Gave Away The Sawmill, and he has been sacked, so we have a new editor in place. The latest edition has just been printed and I have asked to see the distribution list before it goes out. Ladies and Gentlemen, 40 copies have been earmarked for the piggery.

Now, the piggery is staffed by three people. Three people who have to pass by the giant noticeboard outside the office, on which we have pinned the latest edition of the newsletter. So I can only presume that the PIGS are going to read these 40 copies. 20 copies have also been allocated to the creche. The creche is full of babies, none of whom, to the best of my knowledge, are advanced enough to read what is essentially a newspaper.

The new editor is also a pastor. I wonder if he is performing miracles?