Pages

Monday, 25 October 2004

Ear Ear

A lot of the time a post on someone else’s blog will trigger off a funny memory of my own. When I was about 7 years old I woke up one morning and found I had no hearing in my left ear. As you can imagine, this was quite traumatic for a small child. The short version of the story is that there followed about a week of hospitalisation, tests, yucky medicine and so on, and eventually the hearing came back. Anyway, about two days after I got home I woke up suddenly in the middle of the night. I switched on the light. There on the pillow next to where my head had lain was a sizeable round black thing. Petrified that this had come out of my ear and that the deafness was about to return, I raced into my parents’ room howling and brandishing the strange black thing. I presented it to my mother and told her I was worried about my ear. Clearly at 3 in the morning my mother was not so worried. She took the black thing from me, looked at it, and in her most withering tone of voice said ‘It’s a raisin’. Then I remembered I had been eating fruitcake in bed earlier.