Pages

Tuesday, 28 September 2004

Does Anyone Have The Answer?

George Monbiot in The Guardian on tax evasion in the UK. This is disgusting. I wish someone could explain it to me. What makes the vast majority of the human population so selfish and greedy? I mean, how rich can you possibly be? What is the point of it? What can a person possibly get from it? I just don’t understand it. I’m not advocating communism, or saying that people shouldn’t aspire. I would much rather live in a three-bedroomed house with a garden and a car, than a high-rise council flat with a bicycle. But I have no desire to have 60-bedroomed mansions around the world and a fleet of private jets. If individuals will not take responsibility then the government must. There must be a cut-off point, where the government says ‘Right. You’re up to a million (or whatever) in earnings this year, we’re taking everything else in tax.’ People are dying every second of the day because they don’t have clean water or food. How long can this go on being ignored?? If anyone has any answers as to why people behave like this, I’d love to hear it. Unless you trot out ‘natural instinct’ which I think is nonsense. We have the intellect to rise above any pre-programmed genetic urges.